Writing Assignments<3

Photo career tree: cinematographer & advertising marketing professional 

There were three specific jobs from the tree that I was most interested in: cinematographer and an advertising marketing professional. My main reasoning for being interested in cinematography is to deal with production and filming. I think cinematography is crucial for many films, and they add a layer to the film itself. For example, part of the reasons why I love La La Land so much is because of the cinematography, it adds to the story and plot. As for advertising marketing, I love being involved in media and I love business (it’s my major). With advertising marketing, I enjoy advertisements and catering toward the people. 

My dream job being an advertising marketing professional would require me to be at a busy location. I think I would be granted many more opportunities if I lived in a busier area such as New York City, or Los Angeles. If I were to ever move to a different country, it would be London just because I love the area. However, I do think staying in the USA would be my best option as I wouldn’t want to live too far away from all my family. My responsibilities for being a cinematographer would include lighting, directing/ staging of scenes, and using the right equipment in order to get my scenes right.  

While the salary wouldn’t nearly reach as high as some other professions, it would still pay good money if I’m in the right place. For example, being involved in the influencer’s lifestyle to some extent is beneficial and living in the right area also depends too. For example, my chosen locations (NYC and LA) would probably pay you more than in other states. The other tyes of jobs I would want to pursue would be business related. A drastic different one would be being an author/ writer (maybe as a side career).  

1. What are aperture, shutter speed and ISO?- Aperture is the hole in the lens that helps to control how much light gets in the photo. Shutter speed is when the faster the picture is taken, the less light is let in (so the speed of the picture being taken affects the light). ISO is the camera’s sensitivity to light.
  2. When would you need to change your ISO?- You change your ISO when you’re trying to get a specific shutter speed.
  3. What is aperture and shutter priority settings?- Aperture in settings allows you to choose your aperture. Priority in settings helps to pick your shutter speed.
  4. What are AF modes how do you change them?- AF modes are basically autofocus modes and it depends on the camera on how to switch to this mode. Most cameras have a button that makes it easy and accessible, but in some cases you’ll need to press your shutter button halfway down.
  5. Why do your need to meter the light to get the right exposure?- You meter the light to get the right exposure in order to get the right tone in the image you’re aiming for. Essentially, without metering the light you wouldn’t know whether the image is overexposed or underexposed.
  6. What is white balance and why would you need to change it?- The white balance basically helps in reducing/ removing unwanted color casts. You need to change your white balance so the image doesn’t come out too cool or too warm.
  7. What is depth of field and what is the difference between shallow and good?- The DOF is how blurry/sharp the area is around your subject. Shallow is when the subject is in focus and the background is blurred and good is when it’s sharper by having the subject be positioned far from the camera.
  8. What are drive modes and metering modes?- The metering mode is how the camera naturally adjusts to the right exposure without using an accessory meter. Drive modes are the shooting modes in your camera (single shoot, self-timer mode, etc…).
  9. What is exposure compensation?- Exposure compensation allows you to adjust the brightness/darkness in a picture by overriding the exposure settings set by the light meter of the camera.